I'd like to share the small commissioned painting, but since it's a surprise, I don't want to ruin it.
On to the new frames. I'm tiring of my regular frames of the last 6 years. Also, I've had trouble reinforcing the mitered corners since the frame material is very thin. This results in some of the glued mitered corners cracking and coming apart. To fix this, I decided to ditch the old framing method and start using contemporary floating frames with spline reinforced corners. You can see how I did this in the pictures below with a spline jig I built to use on the router table. I also changed material from red oak to walnut. These frames definitely take more time to build, but I do like how the natural walnut looks with the paintings.